Ocheretna K. Cryptophagidae (Coleoptera) in the collections of Ukraine: Species, Specimens, and Collectors // Proc. of the State Nat. Hist. Mus. - Lviv, 2019. - 35. - P. 21-36.
Key words: Cryptophagidae, collections, natural museums, species diversity
The collections of Cryptophagidae beetles stored in the natural museums of Ukraine were studied: three academic and two university collections – State Museum of Natural History, National Museum of Natural History and I.I. Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Zoological Museum of T. Shevchenko Kyiv National University and Museum of Natural History of V. Karazin Kharkiv National University, and also author’s work collection. The volumes and the state of their preservation have been analyzed. The representation of different species in collections, as a whole, and in relation to the Carpathian fauna is evaluated. In general, museum collections contain 1346 samples of Cryptophagids, in each of which – about 210-340 individuals, all of them are stored in separate boxes and punctured by entomologic needles. The author's collection includes 1657 specimens of 57 species, which are mostly stored on cotton mattresses. All six collections include 122 species of 16 genera, containing from 21 to 85 species of this family. Some samples in collections have been lost for various reasons, in 10 cases there are only needles with labels without the samples themselves, therefore, some species (eg Cryptophagus nitidulus, C. hexagonalis) are represented in collections conditionally, only in labels. At the revision of materials attention is paid to taxonomic changes, through which in the publications and in the actual material different species or generic synonymic names were used. The author also took into account the uniqueness of each of the collections, which was determined by several important parameters, including the number of samples that are presented exclusively in some of the museum of species and genera of the family, the number of samples and type specimens in collection. For most of these parameters the leader is the collection of Zoological Museum of T. Shevchenko Kyiv National University. All data is included in the author's database, which contains summaries of annotations containing collections of samples, names of regions and localities of collection, dates, collectors, or owners of the collection, and also notes with clarifications of places or details of reidentifications.
- Akimov I.A., Kharchenko V.A., Puchkov A.V., Zerova M.D., Kolodochka L.A., Anistratenko V.V., Fursov V.M., Cherney L.S., Levchuk O.M. Scientific fund collections of I.I. Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology, NAS of Ukraine // Proceedings of the National Museum of Natural History. – 2016. – Vol. 14. – P. 95-108. [In Ukrainian]
- Bruce N. XIX. – Coleoptera, Cryptophagidae in the British Museum // Annals and Magazine of Natural History. – Taylor & Francis, 1952. – Vol. 50 (5). – P. 167-188.
- Bruce N. LXXVII. – Coleoptera, Cryptophagidae in the British Museum // Annals and Magazine of Natural History. – 1953. – Vol. 70 (6). – P. 782-790.
- Cherkunov N. List of beetles found in Kyiv and its environs // Notes of the Kyiv Sociеty of Naturalists. – 1889. – Vol. 10 (1): 147-204. [In Russian]
- Engel M.S., Urban D., De Oliveira F.F., Alves-Dos-Sanctos I. In Memoriam: Jesús Santiago Moure (1912-2010) // Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society. – 2012. – Vol. 85 (1). – P. 65-83.
- Esser J. On the identity of Cryptophagus dentatus (Herbst, 1793) (Coleoptera: Cryptophagidae) // Entomologische Blätter. – 2017. – Vol. 113 (2). – P. 99-103.
- Hochhuth J.H. Enumeration der in der russischen Gouvemement Kiew und Wolhynien bisher aufgefundenen Kafer // Bull. Soc. Nat. Moscou. – 1871. – Vol. 44. – P. 176-253.
- Khlus L.M., Tkebuchava I.B. Zoological collections of Chernivtsi National University named after Y. Fedkovich as an object of national heritage // Bulletin of the Odessa Historical and Local History Museum. – Odesa: Astroprint, 2006. – Vol. 3. – P. 206-208. [In Ukrainian]
- Leschen R. Evolution of saproxylic and mycophagous Coleoptera in New Zealand // Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-93. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station, 2006. – P. 1-8.
- Liashyna K. The prevalence and seasonal multitude dynamics of species of the family Cryptophagidae (Cucujidae, Coleoptera) of deciduous forests of foothills of the Ukrainian Carpathians // Visnyk of the Lviv University. Series Biology. – 2016. – Vol. 72. – P. 161-167.[(In Ukrainia])
- Liashyna K. Silken-fungus beetles of the genus Cryptophagus (Coleoptera, Cucujoidea, Cryptophagidae) of the Borzhava ridge of Ukrainian Carpathians // Visnyk of the Lviv University. Series Biology. – 2018. – Vol. 77. – P. 137-141. [In Ukrainian]
- Löbl I., Smetana A. Catalogue of Palaearctic Coleoptera. Vol. 4. Elateroidea – Derodontoidea – Lymexyloidea – Cleroidea – Cucujoidea. – Apollo Books, Stenstrup, 2007. – P. 1-935.
- Łomnicki M. Chrzaszcze zebrane w okolicy Stanislawowa // Sprawozdanie komisyi fizyjograficznej. – Kraków, 1875. – Vol. 10. – P. 154-184.
- Łomnicki M. Wykaz chrząszczów czyli Tęgopokrywych (Coleoptera) ziem polskich. (Catalogus coleopterorum Poloniae) // Kosmos, seria A – biologia. – 1913. – Tom 38. – S. 21-155.
- Lyubarsky G.Yu. Chinophagus mirabilis, n. gen., n. sp., of Languriidae from China with new records of Cryptophagidae (Coleoptera, Clavicornia) // Miscellania Zoologica. – 1997. – Vol. 20 (1). – P. 111-117.
- Miller L. Eine entomologische Reise in die ostgalizischen Karpathen // Verh. Zool.-Bot. Ges. (Wien). – 1868. – Vol. 18. – P. 3-34.
- Nowicki M. Verzeichniss galizischer Käfer // Beiträge zur Insektenfauna Galiziens. – Krakau, 1873. – P. 7-52.
- Ocheretna K. Beetles of the family Cryptophagidae in the collection of Zoological Museum of Taras Shevchenko Kyiv University // Ukrainian Entomological Journal. – 2019. – Vol. 15. (In press)
- Otero J.C., Johnson C. Species of Cryptophagus Herbst, 1792, belonging to the "dentatus group" (Coleopera: Cryptophagidae) from the Western Palearctic region // Entomologica Fennica. – 2013. – Vol. 24 (2). – P. 81-93.
- Pundiy P., Kozak M. Lazorko, Volodymyr // Encyclopedia of Modern Ukraine (online). – 2016. – http://esu.com.ua/search_articles.php?id=53049
- Ribeiro-Costa C.S., Almeida L.M., Caron E., Correa G.H., Linzmeier A.M., Santos P.B. Catalog of the types of some families of Coleoptera (Insecta) deposited at coleção de entomologia Pe. J.S. Moure, Curitiba, Brazil // Zootaxa (Auckland). – 2010. – Vol. 2535. – P. 1-34.
- Roubal J. Katalog Coleoptera (broůku) Slovenska a Podkarpatské Rusi. – Praha, 1936. – Vol. 2. – P. 1-434.
- Tenenbaum Sz. Chrząszcze (Coleoptera) zebrane w Ordynacyi Zamojskiej w gub. Lubelskiej // Pamiętnik Fizyograficzny. – 1913. – Vol. 21 (3). – P. 1-72.
- Zagorodniuk I., Emelianov I., Chervonenko O. Zoological collections and museums as centres of biodiversity investigations // Zoological Collections and Museums. Nat. Mus. of Nat. His., NAS of Ukraine. – Kyiv, 2014. – P. 6-9. [In Ukrainian]
- Zagorodniuk I., Shydlovskyy I. Acronyms for zoological collections of Ukraine // Zoological Collections and Museums. Nat. Mus. of Nat. His., NAS of Ukraine. – Kyiv, 2014. – P. 33-43. [In Ukrainian]
- Zagorodniuk I. Natural history collections in the Kyiv Pedagogical Museum in 1902-1917 // Proceedings of the National Museum of Natural History. – 2016. – Vol. 14. – P. 123-135. [In Ukrainian]